Taxonomy and description
The elements that constitute this instrument include:
- On-carriageway with flow cycle lanes including those that are part
of a bus lane without segregation;
- on-carriageway with flow cycle lanes with an element of physical segregation
such as a raised kerb;
- contra flow cycle lanes;
- feeder lanes at junctions;
- advanced stop lines;
- signal controlled Toucan crossings (for use by pedestrians and cyclists);
- turn waiting areas; and
- exemptions to vehicle prohibition orders.
General traffic-calming and lower speed limits are also critical tools
in improving safety and amenity for cyclists and so encouraging more cycling.
It should be noted that such measures improve conditions greatly for both
cyclists and pedestrians.